Saturday 9 August 2014

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.






OMGOMGOMGOGMOGMGKG
I have just finished it and I CANNOT THINK CLEARLY RIGHT NOW.

-A few hours after (once I've had time to learn how to function normally again) -

What can I say about this book? How do I even think about it without feeling the feels?



I loved Throne of Glass. I was captivated by the world, the concept, the kick ass female protagonist. It was a great read, though I expected it to be a lot more fast paced.

Crown of Midnight gave me that. And so much more.

First, let's talk plot (view spoiler)
During the first half of the book, Celaena learns a lot about the king, the rebellion and other affairs going on outside of the castle walls.
Then, we reach the halfway point and


It takes off like a rocket
When Chaol was captured I couldn't breathe. There was that feeling lurking inside me that he was going to die. But then Celaena came with her bad-assery and saved him.


AND THEN NEHEMIA DIES.

To top off that, Celaena tries to kill Chaol.
You know, just a little trouble in paradise. Thank the lord for Dorian's magic, WHICH I DID NOT EXPECT HIM TO HAVE AT ALL.

Can we please talk about what happened behind the secret door in Celaena's room. The whole thing with the portal and Nehemia and that creature! Then Chaol comes with Dorian. And then there is that possibility of a major death, again. Then Fleetfootwent into the portal and Chaol runs after him. So does Celaena. I THOUGHT THEY WERE ALL GOING TO FRICKING DIE
Wyrd save me.

I also loved the wyrdkeys aspect of this book, and Celaena's journey to figure out the riddle, find the poem and the first key. It added so much to the story!

THE CHARACTERS
CHAOL. GODDAMN CHAOL WESTFALL. MARRY ME.

His character devolopment in this book. Holy mackerels.
He opened so many doors into his past, his feelings, his personality.

Celaena was even more bad ass and amazing in this book. The way she killed and fought for herself and those she loved. However, even though she is pretty amazing, she does have flaws and vulnerabilities. It was great to see them a lot more in this book. I think it reminded people that Celaena is as fragile as the rest of them. That she is also in danger.

Dorian! Sweet Dorian. It killed me to see him trying so hard to let go of Celaena and to try and not be jealous of what she had with Chaol. He helped her when she needed him the most, despite the hurt he's been though. I may be shipping Chaolaena but it doesn't mean I don't love Dorian, too!:(

TALKING ABOUT CHAOLAENA. OH MY DEAR LORD.
THE BDAY DINNER. THE KISS. THE BED STUFF.









DAT ENDING. Crap.
I wasn't expecting it. Celaena Fae. Chaol sending her to Wendlyn. Their goodbyes.Chaol telling her he loves her. Celaena telling him it will always be him. Chaol figuring out who she really is: the Queen of Terrasen.













To summarise: this book is amazing and it will blow your eyebrows off. Heir of Fire, come to me
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...